Develop your telephone and online counselling skills!
Online and telephone counselling services are increasingly in demand as stress and mental health difficulties are affecting more and more people. This 20-hour self study course helps you to improve your telephone and online counselling skills.
Our 20 hour courses are self paced and will help you understand a topic in a short amount of time. You can work through the course when you like- test yourself with mini-tests along the way. There are extra case studies or research you can undertake if you would really like to get into the topic. Once you have completed the lessons and self assessment tasks, there is a final exam undertaken online- you can then download your personalised certificate.
Lesson 1: What is Counselling?
- Counselling techniques
- Asking questions
- Qualities of good counsellors
- Non verbal and verbal communication
- Are you stressed
- Stress epidemic
- Stress and war
- Is stress always a bad thing?
Lesson 2: Ethical and Legal Considerations in Counselling (Ethics Part 1)
- Informed consent
- Why are ethics important in counselling
- Making ethical decisions
- Ethics and culture
- Ethics and relationships
- Keep records
Lesson 3: Introduction to Online and Telephone Counselling
- Identifying risk
- Communicating with clients via telephone or e-counselling
- Establishing ground rules and boundaries
- Providing clients with supplementary materials
- Ending therapeutic relationships
- Why people use internet or telephone counselling
Lesson 4: Ethical and Legal Considerations in Online and Telephone Counselling (Ethics Part 2)
- Ethics in relation to telephone and online counselling
- Informed consent and virtual counselling
- Moderating forums
Lesson 5: Phone Counselling
- Stages of telephone counselling
- Microskills in telephone counselling
- Telephone counselling process
- Addressing needs
- Problem solving
- Taking notes
- Ending the call
- Non-verbal and verbal communication on the phone
Lesson 6: Online Counselling
- Internet or online counselling
- Email counselling
- Chat counselling
- When internet counselling is used
- Effectiveness of online counselling
- Depression in childhood
Lesson 7: Problems with Telephone and Online Counselling
- Ending the conversation
- Problem callers
- Nuisance callers
- Regular callers
- Chronic callers
- Silent calls
Lesson 8: Working in Telephone and Online Counselling
- Time boundaries
- Professional boundaries
- Getting started in telephone and e-counselling
How does this course work?
You can enrol at any time.
Once you have paid for the course, you will be able to start straight away.
Study when and where you like. Work through at your own pace.
You can download your study-guide to your smart phone, tablet or laptop to read offline.
There are automated self-assessment tests you can complete at the end
of each lesson. You can attempt these as many times as you wish and
each time, upon completion, you can see your results. You will need
internet access to complete the self assessment tests.
At the end of the course, you are presented with a large assessment
which can be attempted online, anywhere, anytime. If you achieve a 60%
pass in the exam; you immediately receive a downloadable certificate of
completion with your name on it.